Sale or Use of Alcohol at University Sponsored Events | Spalding University Policy Guide Sale or Use of Alcohol at University Sponsored Events

In all circumstances involving the use of alcoholic beverages, the University expects its faculty, administrators, staff, students, alumni and their respective guests to conduct themselves, both individually and collectively, in a responsible manner. Members of the University community are expected to be aware of and obey federal, state and local laws and ordinances regulating the use, possession and/or sale of alcoholic beverages, including but not limited to the following provision of KRS 244.085:

“A person under 21 years of age shall not possess for his or her own use or purchase or attempt to purchase or have another purchase for him or her any alcoholic beverages. No person shall aid or assist any person under 21 years of age in purchasing or having delivered or served to him or her any alcoholic beverages.”

Under strict supervision, alcohol may be served at a limited number of approved University events. Any individual or group sponsoring an event must obtain a written Alcohol Permit at least two (2) weeks prior to an event where alcohol will be served. Alcohol Permits must be approved in writing by the Corporate General Counsel. Alcohol Permit applications should be submitted for consideration no less than 30 days in advance of the event to ensure appropriate time for review. Alcohol Permit applications may be obtained in the Corporate General Counsel’s Office or on the University’s website. Approval of an Alcohol Permit implies institutional registration of an event, but does not imply that the University is responsible for the event. The University assumes no responsibility for any liability incurred as a result of an organization's or individual’s violation of this policy or any applicable laws governing the use and consumption of alcoholic beverages. Be advised that the individual or organization sponsoring the event at which alcohol is to be served could be held liable for any damages or injuries caused by intoxicated guests during or following the event.

The individual applying for the Alcohol Permit will be deemed to be the Event Manager. The Event Manager must be present for the duration of the event and shall be responsible for the strict enforcement of this policy. Alcoholic beverages may be served only by a designated, non-drinking bartender. Self-service of alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited. The bartender shall not serve alcoholic beverages to anyone who is under 21 or who appears to be intoxicated. An Alcohol Permit must designate a minimum number of non-drinkers (approximately 1 monitor per 30 guests) to be present for the duration of the event to monitor alcohol consumption by guests. Non-alcoholic beverages must be featured as prominently as alcoholic beverages and available in sufficient quantity to serve the anticipated number of guests under the age of 21 and at least half of the anticipated number of guests over the age of 21. Food must be served at no charge to guests for the duration of the event. The Event Manager shall ensure that all alcoholic beverages are removed from the event premises after the termination of the event.