1. Accuser and accused must have the same opportunity to have others present.
2. Both parties shall be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
3. Survivors shall be informed of their options to notify law enforcement.
4. Survivors shall be notified of counseling services.
5. Survivors shall be notified of options for changing academic and living situations.
Keep in mind that although there are similarities in the ways that rape victims react, no two people will react to rape in the exact same way. The following statements are some ideas on what to say to a person who has been raped.
You’re safe now.
It wasn’t your fault.
I’m here to listen anytime you need to talk.
I believe you and will help you.
If the assault occurred within 48 hours, also inform them of the following:
1. Do not bathe, shower, or douche.
2. Save the clothing worn at the time of, or immediately after, the rape.
3. Go to the hospital.
The University must notify the victim of options for, and assistance in, changing academic and living situations if reasonably available.
In compliance with laws pertaining to minors, remember: if the rape survivor is under 18 years old, the rape MUST be reported to the police.